Question by : Is there a recipe for pumpkin pie without Eagle Brand milk?
I’m wanting to make a pumpkin pie but I was told by my sister that you need Eagle Brand milk to make it, that just regular evaporated milk will not work. Is this true or is there a recipe for it? And does it taste the same?
Answer by scrgrl
Of course you can. Sweetened condensed milk isn’t always Eagle Brand and pies can be made totally from scratch. Think about what they did before canned milk…
* 2 cups of pumpkin pulp purée from a sugar pumpkin* or from canned pumpkin purée
* 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
* 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
* 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
* 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
* 1 good crust (see pâte brisée recipe)
* To make pumpkin purée from a sugar pumpkin: start with a small-medium sugar pumpkin, cut out the stem and scrape out the insides, discard (save the seeds, of course). Cut into sections and steam in a saucepan with a couple inches of water at the bottom, until soft. Scoop out the pulp from the skin. Or you can bake whole or halved in a 350°F oven until fork tender. Optional – put pulp through a food mill or chinois to make extra smooth.
1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
2 Mix sugars, salt, and spices, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl. Stir in the pumpkin purée. Stir in cream. Whisk all together until well incorporated.
3 Pour into pie shell and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes reduce the temperature to 350°F. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
4 Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.
Serve with whipped cream. Serves 8.
And that’s just the first recipe I came up with googling.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
Incoming search terms:
- i make the same recipe pumpkin pie every year and it always tastes differant
- recipefor pumpkin pie usingpumpkin pie spice and eagle brand milk
You might also like:
- Does anyone have the recipe for pumpkin pie from the Sanilac powdered milk container? I would love a copy—?
- Pumpkin Seed Milk Alternative Recipe for People with Food Allergies Just in Time for Halloween
- Need a recipe for pumpkin cake?
- Do you have a recipe for no-egg pumpkin pie?
- Pumpkin Butter Recipe